Explaining the concept of RIEDEL WINEWINGS, we chose a flat and stretched bottom, with a wing-like shape to increase the surface area the wine is exposed to, which increases the levels of evaporation and enables a greater intensity of aroma. When positioning ones head to the glass, the nose is closer and is exposed to the wider surface of the wine. Though this alone would not fully deliver the optimal aroma of each grape variety and so, to capture the delicate layered aromas, it was necessary to curve the glass walls and to correctly calibrate the opening of each glass with its rim diameter. RIEDEL WINEWINGS has seven glasses in total. Three for red wines, three for white and one for Champagne and sparkling wines. “Let’s start with Riedel Winewings glasses for white wine, and I’ll aim to explain why we need three” comments Georg. “Here, we are dealing with the three classic and most significant white varietals and each features different flavors and even a different mouthfeel, which we believe requires a different glass shape for each in order to truly appreciate their unique characteristics’. Chardonnay – classic aromas of fresh yellow fruits and rich, buttery flavors when aged in oak barrels having undergone malolactic fermentation. Riesling – powerful floral aromas, crisp with acidity and a touch of sweetness (no new oak, no malolactic fermentation). Sauvignon Blanc – herbaceous notes, aromas of citrus, high acidity and minerality.
- The Chardonnay glass is perfect to reveal the intensity of full-bodied white wines, including the wine’s multi-layered aromas
- The wide open-mouthed bowl enables the rich bouquet to develop its wonderfully diverse range of aromas, emphasizing the finesse while minimizing the risk of richer style white wines becoming over-concentrated
- Winewings wine glasses are flat-bottomed, wide and reminiscent of the wing of an aircraft, complete with winglets
- Explaining the concept of RIEDEL WINEWINGS, we chose a flat and stretched bottom, with a wing-like shape to increase the surface area the wine is exposed to, which increases the levels of evaporation and enables a greater intensity of aroma
- Machine made and dishwasher safe